The 2018 Oral Health Florida Conference: Shaping the Future of Oral Health
New research by the Frameworks Institute shows that there is little understanding of the connection between oral health and overall health and well-being. This session introduces key recommendations for framing oral health and access to oral health care and provides guidance to participants in applying these recommendations to their own communications.
- PRESENTER: Mackenzie Price, PhD, Frameworks Institute
- MODERATOR: Nancy Zinser, CRDH, MS, Vice Chairwoman, Oral Health Florida Board of Directors
- FaceBook Live: https://www.facebook.com/oralhealthfl/videos/10155475364431669/
In 1949, the Florida Board of Health endorsed community water fluoridation (CWF) and the City of Gainesville became the first community to provide CWF to its citizens in Florida. Since then more than one communities and water systems have decided to initiate CWF. We will discuss where Florida is currently with access to CWF and how do we move forward as a state.
Fluoridation tablets are designed to be an easy to use, less messy way to properly fluoridate small to medium sized municipal water sites. Learn more about this new technology to deliver fluoride to a community water system.
- PRESENTERS: Sean Isaac, MPH, FL Dept. of Health & Steve McCarter, KC Industries
- MODERATOR: Karen Hodge, MHSc, RDH, Chairwoman of the Oral Health Florida Fluoridation Action Team
- Facebook Live: https://www.facebook.com/oralhealthfl/videos/10155475755776669/
This presentation will provide information on data from the 2016-2017 FLOSS survey that School-Based Sealant Programs completed. Updates from the Third Grade Oral Health Screening Project and other oral health data will be provided as well.
- PRESENTERS: Jennifer Wahby, MPH & Louiza Saint-Hillien, MPH, FL Dept. of Health
- MODERATOR: Susan Gorman, RDH, MEd, Co-Chairwoman of the Oral Health Florida Sealant Action Team
- Facebook Live: https://www.facebook.com/oralhealthfl/videos/10155475814281669/
A Faith-Based Approach to Oral Health Education
This session will provide an overview of a study guide created specifically for Black congregations entitled, “Developing a Practical Theology of Health … with TEETH” and provide information about study guide training workshops held in Florida.
- PRESENTER: Rev. Dr. Dawn Riley Duval
- MODERATOR: Karen Pesce Buckenheimer, RN, BSN, Chairwoman of Oral Health Florida Medical-Dental Action Team
- Facebook Live: https://www.facebook.com/oralhealthfl/videos/10155475861681669/
Strategies to Improve Access to Dental Care
Panelists will provide an overview of their area of expertise and encourage participants to consider how each strategy can improve access to dental care. Topics include:
- Community Dental Health Coordinators
PRESENTER: Jane Grover, DDS, MPH, American Dental Association
- Dental Therapy
PRESENTER: Sarah Wovcha, JD, MPH, Children’s Dental Services
- Medical/Dental Integration
PRESENTER: Patty Braun, MD, MPH, FAAP, University of Colorado
- Tele Dentistry
PRESENTER: Rolande Tellier, MBA, PMP, University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
- MODERATOR: Oscar Arevalo, DDS, ScD, MBA, MS, Oral Health Florida Chairman of the Board
- Facebook Live: https://www.facebook.com/oralhealthfl/videos/10155476018976669/